Saturday, January 1, 2011

Fit and eating fish

Lately, I find I'm thinking a lot about how fit I was in my pageant days.  This is probably because in just under 6 months I am going to get to wear a pretty dress for a special day.  Our wedding!  I probably keep digressing to those pageant days because I was working so hard and my diet was spot on.

I ate a lot of Morey's marinated salmon and tilapia filets and rice.  I also worked out at least once a day consistently- sometimes twice a day.

My eating habits changed drastically once I started a new job and a co-worker at Careerbuilder.com criticized my lunch choice- complaining that my lunch made the entire office smell.   My self-confidence had been wavering as a result of some of the office politics and criticisms of people at other companies in a position equal to mine.  Numerous times, over the near year I worked there, my manager--Chad Goven, native of Eden Prairie, MN, graduate of Duke University and current graduate student at Stanford-- stated "Who are they? They are nobody! Don't waste your time!" 

I kept thinking "that could be me you're talking about".  

No wonder I hated going to work and worried about my fate or how I would be treated day in and day out.  After all, when he spoke that way about someone in an equivalent position to me- it was him also saying that about me.  What a great tone to set in every office meeting.


No wonder I gained 15 pounds in the near year I worked there. 


Chad eventually laid me off- stating office restructuring.  I was the low-man in the office.  Leaving was a mixed blessing.  

Where was I? Oh yes- to digress- before all of the junk that happened at Careerbuilder- I was in really great shape.

In thinking about my lifestyle then versus now.  There are some obvious adjustments I need to made to sustain that kind of daily fish intake.  They Morey's fillets- while delicious are $13.79 for a package of 2 at Byerly's (I checked on Wednesday when I was there).  As a side note, I signed up for Morey's emails and in the comments box I mentioned how much I love their products.    They replied and said they are happy I love their products so much and are sending me coupons!  Yay!  So maybe I can justify the splurge a bit more easily. Fish gets expensive to eat every single meal- as long as you're avoiding breaded and beer battered fare.

Off to the canned fish aisle I go.... tuna or salmon?  The thought of fish smothered in mayonnaise is enough to make my stomach churn.  There must be something better than what I learned to make growing up.

I searched through the recipes at allrecipes.com and found Eating Well.  This magazine has a great website- and a mobile website too!  So when you're grocery shopping the recipe search is bam! Right at the top of the page. The recipes also include how many calories per serving. 

What I've tried so far:

Easy Salmon Cakes with Creamy Dill Sauce

Mediterranean Tuna Antipasto Salad

Black Bean Quesadillas

All were really good and very easy to make. (The the mediterranean salad use fresh rosemary as it calls for and not dried- it was a bit too prickly and weird but otherwise tasted good) Our 2- year-old wasn't so keen on the fish items but gobbled up the Quesadillas! 

I'm eager to try many more recipes from Eatingwell. The fish and vegetarian entrees will also be helpful considering I have to bring Kosher food to my new workplace.  I will oblige because I would want the same respect shown to me if the roles or situation were reversed.  I've also been interested in trying to eat vegetarian consistently.  When I asked my fiance about that, he wasn't so sure and wondered if we could still incorporate white meat into our diet such as chicken and turkey.  It's open for discussion at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment