Wednesday, January 19, 2011

My first visit

The first time at our new gym was last night.

It was so akward at first. I felt so out of place, and out of practice. It was bizzare to think that I haven't gone to a gym or worked out consistently in 3 years.

I kept asking myself- "Will I like it?"

I had no idea. I used to like going to the gym. I used to enjoy running and weight lifting.

I suddenly felt small and intimidated.

What a strange feeling to have when going to do something that used to be the norm/ routine. What a strange feeling to be someplace and feel out of place.

It was akward at first. It was intimidating and strange.

It's sad- but I wanted to turn around and not even try. I'm ok with me- aren't I?

Then I remembered the other day. I brought my two sons home. The oldest- who is almost 2 1/2 years old wanted to race me down the apartment hallway. It was so fun and he was so happy. I remembred again why it was important and why I needed to try- because I want to be there and be able to be the best mom I can be for my kids, and the best partner "in crime" to my future husband.

So, for my workout, I did a mile long bike ride to warm up ( 6 minutes), a did a run/walk for 20 minutes (and got up to 7.6 mph- which is really good for me, my short legs, and lack of running for about 4 months). Then, I moved on to weight lifting- bicep curls, upright rows, tricep extensions and other arm exercizes on the cable machines, the assisted pull up machine (I could never do pull ups on my own in gym class), and the roman chair. The roman chair was tough- it used to be so easy. I did 6 back extensions on the roman chair and then felt the c-section incision. It was time to stop.

I ended the work out by using these cool new stationary bikes that have different races and routes with a monitor so you have something to look at.

After I worked out I felt great and remembered why I used to love going to the gym so much and why I've missed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment