Thursday, April 28, 2011

Free training session

With our membership to the JCC  in St Louis Park- we are also eligible for a free training session and have a surplus of trainers to work with. 

Last Friday, I didn't work because my daycare provider took the day off for Good Friday.  There had been a lot of time off for Passover (since I work within the Jewish community).  It was nice to spend more time with my kids.  On Good Friday, I decided I would spend late morning putting in a workout.  I was doing modified push ups using a cable machine.  When I was finished a trainer came up to me and said "I've never seen that on this machine before- I want to try that." So off he went trying my modified push up, without the additional knee adaptation (he, Jeff the trainer, told me he'd never had a c-section).  He also said he liked the move and how well it worked the upper body and abs.

Did I really just teach a trainer something?

When Jeff asked me if I was currently training, I responded by telling him that I had signed up for my first 5K in May.  When he asked how long I had been a member I said late February and that I had lost 8.5 pounds so far.  His response: You must be doing something right then!  Must be. I told him about the Cardio Trainer app on my phone and how it was helping me track my progress, my calorie intake.  We scheduled a time to meet since I had not had my WellStart meeting yet. (you get a session with a trainer when you sign up- like at many clubs).

So, I met with Jeff- and I, admittedly, was skeptical. I was also probably being prideful.  I have, after all, lost 8.5 pounds on my own.   When we met for the training session, he asked me what my athletic background was- I went through the laundry list of sports and physical activities that I have participated in.  We started out easily - seeing what my range of motion is and physical abilities- then, he really started to push me.  It was physically and mentally challenging. I actually, and this has never happened before, had to stop because I was nauseated from the workout.  Jeff explained it was from the lowered levels of glucose. I could never get my own workouts to this level on my own.  I still feel the workout from Monday today - but in a good way- not in an 'oh gosh I am NEVER doing that again. EVER' way.

 Now, I'm less than 2 pounds away from my first big- 1/2 way goal and 12 pounds away from my second big goal.

Everything seems to be obtainable now- as long as I'm still trying and still making progress.

1 comment:

  1. I love meeting with my trainer. He's always got good perspectives and keeps pushing me harder, which is great.
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete