Monday, January 3, 2011

Tilapia... yum yum!

We have had a bag of frozen Tilapia in our freezer since July or August of 2010.  I had no idea what to do with it- all I knew was that I wanted to eat it but didn't want to be disappointed. I had become so concerned that whatever recipe I tried would be labor intensive with poor results that the bag sat untouched.  It wasn't as though it was expensive fish either.  The bag came from Aldi - a great store that can really help you stretch your grocery dollars. 

 The bag sat and sat and sat in our freezer until New Years Day.  (After all, there's  no time like the present - right?)  In our case, it was completely by chance that making the Tilapia with an asparagus side occured on New Years Day.  I wouldn't pair these two together- the sweet of the Tilapia with the tart of the Asparagus was too much of a contrast.

If I'm following the advice of my personal trainer from college- we should eat 1200 calories a day.  Start with a 300 calorie meal and wait three hours, then a 200 calorie snack and wait two hours- repeat and go to bed "empty".  We don't want all of those extra calories festering in our stomachs and becoming fat stores overnight do we???  That doesn't sound like a good idea.  That would make all of our hard work useless.

I used this strategy in the past and it works- it really does.

Five Spice Tilapia- 180 Calories
Lemon Lovers Asparagus- 91 Calories

Total: 271 calories

271 calories- in just under that 300 calorie goal- you could have an apple or an orange for dessert.

My fiance looked at me and said "WOW- this is so good. Where are you finding these recipes???"

I look forward to having a larger home where we can entertain and have dinner parties.  There's something exciting and fulfilling knowing that you have served an excellent meal. Excellent not only to the taste buds but also for your health.

No comments:

Post a Comment