Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Welcome to 2009....

2008 was a hectic year- mostly because I was pregnant and gave birth via emergency c-section at the end of September-and then there was the recovery and adjustment time. So that was pretty much the year.

Now, I find myself at a weight (nearly 180) that is just a no-no in my book for someone who is 5 foot 2 and 3/4 inches tall.

While I love the idea of having the online fitness tools that are provided by self.com, shape.com, glamour.com, womenshealth.com, and a surplus of others- free and not so free- As a new mom, frankly there isn't time for such things. That and how can I share my successes and challenges with everyone I know? The anser: blogging. This will be dedicated to this fitness journey- recording my goals, food intake, and exercise in the hopes of having an accountability partner in 2009.

According to research I have done online, I am far from healthy at 178.6 pounds- a number that I thought I would never see.

From www.self.com

healthy weight range: 104-139 lbs.
"happy weight": 130

Starting BMI: 31.9
Healthy BMI: 18.5 -24.9

From www.shape.com

Ideal weight range: 121-135 lbs.
Starting BMI: 31.5
Healthy BMI: 18.5- 25

From www.prevention.com

A weightloss simulator! I had seen this tool on another website a few years ago. This will definitely be helpful in visualizing where I am and where I want to be. Wow- 125 looks really good!

Starting weight depiction:





Goal weight depiction:





Current BMI: 31.53


From www.caloriecontrol.org

Use this website to check how many calories I've burned...
f0r example:

1 hour of ice hockey at my current weight = 557.232 calories burned
2 hours of ice hockey= 1114.464
15 minutes of stair climbing= 182.172
20 minutes of stair climbing = 242.896
20 minutes of walking while pushing a stroller = 117.876
60 minutes of walking while pushing a stroller = 353.628
20 minutes to prepare dinner = 58.59
20 minutes of jogging = 267.9

According to this website my healthy weight is 113.75 lbs ( give or take 10%)

From www.glamour.com

Current BMI: 31.5

Health Risk: I'm considered "Obese" (YIKES!) which increases my risk of heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and some cancers

Current resting heart rate: 72

Vigorous Intensity Range (fitness): 157 beats/min, 10 sec count: 26 beats/min (Jogging, Aerobics class, etc.)

Moderate Intensity Range (health): 133 beats/min, 10 sec count: 22 beats/min (Brisk walking)

Calorie Counter:
60 minutes of in-line skating = 1017.31 calories burned


Of course, we can all say- this year I'm going to do it- I'm going to get healthy, I'm going to eat right, I'm really going to get in shape- REALLY I AM.

Here are the HOW's of it for me:

1. Reduce gluten in diet (wheat, barley, rye) substitute rice pasta for "regular pasta", inplace of traditional breads use tortillas which have fewer carbs.

2. Increase fruit and vegetables - by increasing salads, incorporate a side of vegetables with meals, snack on cottage cheese and fruit instead of carbs

3. Consume the right amount of calories (it's SO easy to be under OR over!) particularly when I'm reffing multiple hockey games in a day or so busy that I haven't realized how little I've eaten.

4. While I cut out my gym membership (since they don't have childcare for T and since I'm staying at home and have a reduced income) I need to find new and different ways to work out- and stick with them.

5. Report back here- because everyone needs a buddy.

Wish me luck- I"m determined to be better than I have been, and better than I was.




1 comment:

  1. Nice work Millie! You are motivating me too. :) Keep it up and let me know if you need a workout partner!

    ReplyDelete