Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The clean plate club.... uh- oh?

On Friday night, Randy took me out to dinner at nearby restaurant- you typical bar and grill/ sports bar with the pull tabs to support youth hockey. When our waitress took our order I preceeded it with "This might sound crazy- but can you hold the bun on the chicken cordon bleu and give me extra lettuce?" She said no- it's not crazy- and that she does it herself. The sandwich was delicious between two pieces of green leafy lettuce and I left feeling so satisfied but light on my feet- it was an amazing feeling. I also skipped the fries and opted for fresh fruit which included cantalope, grapes, pineapple, and honeydew- I admit I tasted some of Randy's fries, but they were so salty that they were gross. Ultimately I was happy that I chose the fruit and to hold the bread.

I do have a confession though.... I cleaned my plate.

This would usually leave me feeling guiltridden with grease, and unsatisfied. The fruit cup was approximately 75 calories, and I estimate the sandwich to be about 400 calories. That's a pretty good meal for eating out!

Since the last time I wrote, my weight went up to 177.6- the day after we ate out- which isn't terrible. Today, 178.2 - that's what happens when you don't work out and you flake on your goal list for a few meals. Saturday night, it was the tortilla shells, yesterday it was the strogganoff. I love strogganoff- but if I'm going to eat the microwave meals I'm going to need to stay more disciplined and say no to any pastas- which can be so hard!

One of the projects I'm working on at home right now is looking through my fitness magazines and keeping only the articles that I want- most are based around fitness and nutrition/ recipies.

from Self magazine- diet superfoods.

1. Steak- Beef has a rep as a diet buster, but eating it may help you peel off pounds. In a study plulished in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, women on a diet that included red meat lost more weight than those eating equal calories but little beef. "The protein in steak helps you retain muscle mass during weight loss," says study author Manny Noakes, Ph.D. Try to consume local organic beef; it's healthier for you and the environment.

How to eat it: grill or broil and mix in a salad or with veggies for fajitas.

2. Eggs- Dig in to eggs- yolks and all: they wono't harm your heart, but they can help you trim inches. Women on a low-calorie diet who at an egg with toast and jelly each morning lost twice as many pounds as those who had a bagel breakfast with tthe same number of calories but no eggs, a study from Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge reports. "Egg protein is filling, so you eat less later in the day," says David Grotto, R.D., author of 101 Foods That Could Save Your Life.

How to eat it: Omlets and scrambles are obvious choices, but if you can't cook before work, bake a frittata on Sunday; chill and nuke for the week.

3. Kale- Long sidelined as a lowly garnish, this green belongs center stage on your plate. It contains 34 calories and about 1.3 grams of fiber per raw chopped cup, as well as a hearty helping of iron and calcium. But kale's earthy flavor might take some getting used to. Spinach, another nutrient powerhosue, is a milder-tasting option.

How to eat it: Mix chopped raw kale into cooked black beans, says Jennifer Iserloh, founder of Skinny Chef Culinary Ventures, in NYC. Or slice kale into thin strips, saute it with vegetable broth and top with orange slices. Make it a meal by tossing it with quinoa.

4. Oats- "Oatmeal has the highest satiety ranking of any food," Grotto says. "Unlike many other carbojydrates, oats- even the instant kidn- digest slowly, so they have little impact on your blood sugar." All oats are healthful, bu the steel-cut and rolled varieties (which are minimally processed- have up to 5 grams of fiber per serving, making them the most filling choice. Instant oats contain 3 to 4 grams per serving.

how to eat it: Instead of using breadcrumbs add oats to meatloaf- about 1 cup for a recipe that serves 8.

More later- baby duties call.

I did promise to keep you updated on lettuce wrap recipes- and here's a good one! I did skip the crushed red pepper and mint though, added extra tomatoes- and they were delicious! Also very easy to make!

No comments:

Post a Comment