Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Referee Roundup

My return to refing, overall, went well.  I have to admit though, that I felt slow and sluggish after the first game, and by the end of the second period of the second game- I was wondering how I would survive the last period of the evening.  It was exciting to be back.  I had the opportunity to ref two girls' games- which was great.   One of the coaches during the first game, was confussed about icing vs. off-sides-- the call that I made and why the face off was where the face off was.  The "good ol' boys" club still exists...
coach: "I've been coaching for 15 years and that call was supposed to be icing."
me/ref: "the puck was shot from the red line, and your player preceeded the puck into the offensive zone.  The face off occured where the puck was shot from and the call was not icing- it was off sides.  The player was over the line before the puck crossed the red line."

The two coaches continued to attempt to tell me I was wrong.  This basic rule of off sides was clearly violated.  Another parent watching the game affirmed to my partner that the call and face off point was determined correctly.

So, it wasn't all smooth sailing during my time back on the ice.  The days afterwards my legs were sore.  So sore and stiff that walking, bending, kneeling, twisting-- was all painful.  I finally asked my fiance to assist me in two partner stretches that I remembered from high school track and field.  I've felt great ever since.  Clearly, even though I'm still in my 20s, my body doesn't rebound as quickly as it did even 3 years ago.  Again, I have had two kids since then- and that of course, is a major influencer.

My next ice hockey games aren't until January.  Tournaments will be increasing in frequency and tempers tend to flare over the plastic trophy that is at stake.

No comments:

Post a Comment