Friday, April 17, 2009

Skeptical

I don't know about you- but when i hear the phrase "exercise video" thoughts and images of corny 1980's vhs tapes fill my mind. Not only that but the leg warmers and leotards over tights in funky colors- thank goodness that era has past!

I do have a guilty admission- I have purchsed a work out dvd in the past- it's called "Cardio Bootcamp" which I had high hopes for. Unless you have a whole room free of furniture- don't buy it. Also- there's so many people in the video that it's hard to see what's going on. And the moves are tricky.

As my readers know, I watch the Biggest Loser- and many shows like it. Afterall, if these people can do it- so can I- right? With the newest seasons competitors being the largest/ heaviest ever- how many of us feel like we have an excuse? (The Style Network had a Biggest Loser marathon today- which I didn't watch. SO-- if you're ever looking for reruns- I'd check there.) The Biggest Loser gives a little insight into what the trainers are like and so I took a leap of faith and I purchased one of Jillian Michael's DVD's- Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism . This is a great workout- from what I've seen so far.

The warm up: more dynamic than most- instead of just holding a stretch- you are moving your arms and repeating stretches to get your heart rate up. Most warm ups in classes I've taken I've found boring- but this one is not.

Circuit one: Jillian goes to her (kick) boxing roots. Low impact moves that get your heart racing.

Circuit two: More challenging than the first. Jillian does a great job of letting you know that - "hey if you're not this advanced yet- it's ok- do what you can- don't add the hop yet" .

Circuit three: A bit more traditional cardio with jumping jacks, high knees and butt kicks while running in place... things like that.

JM runs through each circuit twice. It's a go at your own pace workout- the last 2-3 times I worked out to this dvd, I only got through the second circuit and could not handle the more advanced additions to the moves. Today I challenged myself to kick it up a notch and get uncomfortable. Like JM says- if you're comfortable you're not going to burn fat.

Its suggested that you use the dvd 5 days a week to see results of up to 5 lbs per week. We'll see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment